Google is trying every possible ways to enhance its search result quality and provide most of the information about the websites which appear in search results. Google is continuously updating its algorithm to make its search results better as per demands.
As technology is changing very fast and time has become very crucial factor for everyone. Internet and mobile has completely changed the landscape of communication and business. Internet has broken the barrier of distance and opened the door for globalization and mobile has broken the barrier of time gap. And Google has broken the barrier of searching information globally.
Combination of Internet, Mobile and search engine is playing crucial role in our life. Searching information has become easy through these technologies. Smartphone users are increasing day by day and searches on mobile phone also growing continuously.
Google, as we know that, is the most popular mobile search engine globally and widely used for searching the information on internet. To make search result more user friendly, Google recently announced a new feature for mobile searches which will help users to find mobile device compatible websites or results. Sometimes it happens with users when they tap on a Google search result on their mobile phone, they land on a page where the page text is too small, links are tiny, and they have to scroll sideways to see all the content. This usually happens when the website is not optimized to be viewed on a mobile phone. This can be a frustrating experience for mobile users. To resolve such type of issues, Google has just started adding ‘’mobile friendly’’ label to mobile search results to make it easier for people to find the information that they are looking for.
Google is stated that a page is eligible for the “mobile friendly” if it meets the following criteria as detected by Googlebot;
- Avoids software that is not common on mobile devices, like Flash
- Uses text that is readable without zooming
- Sizes content to the screen so users don't have to scroll horizontally or zoom
- Places links far enough apart so that the correct one can be easily tapped
If you want to make sure that your site pages meet the mobile-friendly criteria go through with the following tools and suggestions provided by Google:
- Check your pages with the Mobile-Friendly Test
- Read our updated documentation on our Webmasters Mobile Guide on how to create and improve your mobile site
- See the Mobile usability report in Google Webmaster Tools, which highlights major mobile usability issues across your entire site, not just one page
- Check our how-to guide for third-party software like WordPress or Joomla, in order to migrate your website hosted on a CMS (Content Management System) to use a mobile-friendly template
Google see these labels as a first step in helping mobile users to have a better mobile web experience and also experimenting with using the mobile-friendly criteria as a ranking signal.
If your business is search engine centric then it might get affected directly or indirectly by this change. Your website will receive less clicks in search results if it is not mobile friendly. It has become essential for a business to optimise their website for mobile device to gain competitive advantage. It’s just starting and we hope Google will come with more such updates to make mobile search user experience better.
(Omnie Solutions is an enterprise application development company providing custom web and enterprise mobile application development services to global business. Omnie Solutions has extensive experience and expertise in app development for smart gadgets like Google Glass. Follow Omnie Solutions on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn for technology updates).